Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Challenge

I have a challenge for myself. I am going to celebrate the birth and resurrection of Christ the entire year of 2010, not just the months of March and December.

There are the obvious pros of having Christian holidays, but there is also the not so obvious cons of them. One example of a con is the fact that it crams most of the focus of these AMAZING events into two three or four week periods. I know no one really thinks so, but maybe that gives us the excuse that "we've covered this story for the year, now we can talk about other stuff." When was the last time you heard a sermon on the birth of Christ in August?

Also, any holiday is going to have decorations, themes, Santa...Peter Cottontail. These things aren't bad, but sure can get in the way.

This is just a challenge in my life, because I know I am guilty of being too worried about the holidays, and only thinking about the meaning of those holidays when they occur. I believe Jesus is bigger than a Sunday in the spring and a family filled week in December. I am just letting people know my feelings. Perhaps you've felt this way before ,and want to celebrate year round with me.

1 comment: